Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Ethicist- Should I have hung up?

My sisters called me on a conference line, hoping to connect the three of us for an important discussion. I wasn’t home, so one sister left a voice mail message and then disconnected — or at least she thought she did. But my voice mail kept recording as she and my other sister continued their conversation. When I returned home and retrieved the message, was I obliged to stop listening and hang up after my sister believed she had ended the call? JANET FLETCHER, NAPA, CALIF.
This is a much harder question than it initially appears. I think most people would reflexively concede that everyone has the right to listen to whatever shows up in her voice mail (and if this were simply a legal matter, I would agree). But it’s not that simple. What you’re really asking about is the ethics of eavesdropping, a conflict I find almost impossible to resolve.
When I’m walking down the street, riding the subway or sitting alone in a bar, I eavesdrop on other people’s conversations constantly. It’s almost an addiction. I can’t stop myself. Now, my motive for doing so is (seemingly) neutral. I just find it interesting. Still, I always wonder if it’s mildly immoral. It would be obviously unethical to tap someone’s phone or place a glass against my neighbor’s closed door — this would constitute recreational spying without justification. But what if my eavesdropping is simply a product of being wherever I happen to be? What if the conversation comes to me without any effort on my end? Am I obligated toignore all dialogue that isn’t intended for my ears? I’ve worked out various rationalizations to justify my actions: I convince myself that listening is acceptable as long as I don’t know the people and I don’t tell anyone what I overhear. But I know these are pale excuses. There is, I think, something unethical (and arguably dehumanizing) about surreptitiously using other people’s private lives as a form of entertainment.
Your case, however, is even more complicated. For one, the information was delivered directly to your voice mail. Listening to your own messages is normal. It could also be reasonably argued that whatever conversation your sisters had was intended for you to hear, as you were originally supposed to be on the call. Still another argument could be that — if your sisters were indeed talking trash behind your back — you deserved to know this. Of course, you could only verify that suspicion by listening to the entire conversation; you’d need to invade their privacy in order to find out if their privacy warranted invasion, which is a little like justifying illegal police surveillance by pointing out all the criminals it allows the police to arrest. This is the paradox Alfred Hitchcock referred to as “rear-window ethics.”
Judging by the way your letter is written, this event clearly happened a while ago. The bridge has already been crossed: You either listened to the message or you didn’t. My assumption is that you did. If so, were you in the wrong? I have a professional obligation to say that you were. Yet if placed in your position, I know what I would have done, and it would not have involved the delete key.
This Column Entry deals with the idea of eavesdropping, and if it morally acceptable to do so. The woman in question has accidentally overheard his sister continue speaking after she thought the voicemail had closed, listening in to conversation she was not meant to hear. No information is given about what she might have heard.
 From my perspective, there’s really nothing wrong with what the woman did. I would not even call it eavesdropping at this point due to the fact that the woman did not go looking for this information, but instead, it came to her. Of course, she could have hung up the voicemail once she realized it was not part of the message intended for her, but is it really her responsibility to be wary on whether or not what she hears is intended for her? If that were the case, she should walk around town with noise cancelling headphones and only listen in when being personally referred to. There is, however, the argument that what she hears is none of his business. In the example where a person walks by an open door and hears his friends tell an embarrassing story, is he morally allowed to stop and continue listening to the story? I think that in this case, it’s a different situation, as it wasn’t by mistake of the friend that he heard what was said, but by the curiosity of the person in question.

 The ethicist agrees that the message in question was delivered to the person, therefore it was her legal right to listen in, and even more so if it was talking about her. He does not claim that it is the right thing to do as, ultimately, it was not information intended for her. The ethicist, however, lets his personal bias get in the way, as he mentions his own experiences with eavesdropping on people and how often he does it. He uses his own emotion as a way of knowing in this case, as he might try to defend himself for doing something that would be considered unacceptable by social standards, even though it is commonly done. If we were to use reason as a way of knowing in this situation, it is evident that it is not morally acceptable to be listening to conversation that does not involve us, due to the fact that it is also not fair on the person who is speaking thinking that what they are saying is private. Invasion of privacy is the better word, regardless of location. Just because a location is public does not make the conversation so. From my own standpoint, I would not like for people to listen in to my conversations that I have with friends in public. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your final conclusion however, I'm no so sure if the two scenarios of listening to the end of the voice message or walking by your neighbor talking with the door left open are all that different. Sure, the voice message is given to you on your device and the door left open is someone else's business, but both conversations were placed in your grasp by accident and in booth scenarios the "eavesdropper" only continues to listen by accident. I like how you answered to the post abut what you would do or what you think should happen, but I'm wondering what your opinion of the Ethicist response is? I think the key gaps in knowledge here are if the person's sisters were speaking badly of her. If they were I think the situation changes because it becomes not only legally okay for the person to listen, but their right to know what other people have to say about them. Now, a further question to this would be that if the sisters were speaking about the person who received the voice message's spouse, children or friend, is it still okay for them to listen to the conversation if it is not about them (necessarily) but about something that is "their's".. not their sisters'.
    I know that I would have listened to the recording but maybe my listening to the recording is almost as bad as NSA "eavesdropping" on people around the world's conversations. Some information that was also not touched on was that the Ethicist stated that the content on the receiver's phone was legally theirs. Is everything on your phone legally yours? Can you own something technologically or does the internet or the company own it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manny, it seems as if we share the same opinion on the issue at hand. As you stated, since the information "came to her", it does not make it completely unethical to have listened to the conversation. However, you do bring out a good point relating the use of reason as a way of knowing for this issue. Trough reason, it seems as if it is morally wrong to listen to other's conversations even if it is done through a situation similar to Janet Fletcher, the writer of the letter. Now if we apply another way of knowing, such as emotion for instance, would this change anything? Well i believe it would ultimately make it even more morally unaccepted. Emotion, in essence, tends to create extreme bias and depending on one's emotion, they might be looking for that information and keep on listening until they get the information they need. For instance, lets take a real life situation. Lets say a guy just got dumped by his girlfriend. If, by accident, he had the opportunity to listen to a voicemail left by his girlfriend (now ex), he would, primarily to uncover information that could potentially harm her. Therefore, it seems as if through the ways of knowing, it is morally wrong to listen to other's conversation, even if the information is given to us by accident.

      I would also like to answer Sammi's questions. I believe that, in terms of technology, such as phones for instance, we do not have complete ownership. Everything we do on mobile devices can be recorded by the government and could be used for incriminating purposes. Hence, i do not believe that everything on my phone is legally mine. On the other hand, i believe that even though i bought this device, i do not have the complete ownership of it.

      Delete
  2. Well, that makes three of us. I think that although the conversation was not intended to reach her, it did, and therefore she is involved in the situation and has the right to listen to the message. I just want to point out that there are a few knowledge gaps here. First of all, we have no idea what kind of relationship this girl has with her sisters. We don't know if they are BFFs and tell each other everything or if they hate each other and almost never talk to each other. IF they were indeed BFFs then her sisters probably wouldn't hide anything from her in which case it would be ok for her to listen to the message. If they were in fact hiding something from her then we could say she has the right to know especially because the message came to her voice mail. On the other hand, if they hate each other and the message should not have been heard by her, then that is the sisters' problem for being careless. Another thing we do not know is what is going on in each sister's lives. There are endless possibilities to why they should or should not have listened to the message. What if the sisters were talking about a surprise? What f they were talking bad about her boyfriend? Another thing that we have to consider is that we have no idea if the sisters were even talking about her. If they were then I believe it is the girl's right to listen to that conversation because it directly involves her. however, if they weren't, then it is non of her business, but it is still in her voice mail and I think wouldn't be doing any wrong by listening to it. Like the ethicist says, there is no way of knowing what the conversation is about other than by hearing it, which kind of crosses out that justification. I think the girl would have to analyse the situation and think about what she wants her relationship with her sisters to be like and what she wants to be as a person.

    ReplyDelete